Sunday, January 13, 2008

Homesickness

Honestly, I have no idea how the pioneers did this. They left city after city, building new ones and watching what they'd just done be destroyed. If you left home in a conestoga, chances were you'd never see that place again. Well here I am, 2,258 miles from the house I grew up in and most of my family. I have a cell phone and a computer. I can call pretty much anyone in my family at anytime, just to hear their voices and hear how their day is going. I have plenty of high quality pictures of them. And most importantly, I have a plane ticket home for April 11th. When the sun rises over Wilmington on April 12, 2008, I will be there to greet it...asleep in MY bed.

But then why does it still hurt?

Leaving home hurts. It doesn't matter what your life was like before, a total change will make you feel different. Now, I suppose if you've just come out of a concentration camp, you won't ever get "Campsick"...unless you miss the associations you had with others who were suffering just as much. Disclaimer: My life at home DID NOT SUCK. I used to think it did, but that is common amongst 14-year olds. My life at home was cozy and comfortable. I lived in a pretty nice house with a loving family who had my back. But there was still unpleasantness, and like any 18 year old, I could not wait to get the heck out. Now that I'm out, I miss it like nothing else. I miss every little thing. I miss the chairs in my house, the dishes, the carpets, the way the sunlight comes through the curtains in my bedroom and wakes me up when I want to sleep, and the pillows on the couch in the basement.

But I'm adjusting. Everyone has to do this. Everyone has to make the change from kid to adult. I've dabbled before, and even this is a very gradual change.

This blog will make more sense as it goes along. I'm feeling a lot better now than I have the last few days. It will be interesting to read this post when I'm done this semester and better adjusted.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

this is blog is the same layout as Read Scott's blog

Brandon said...

Unfortunately, I can't really relate... I also couldn't wait to get out of the house when I went to college, but once there, I had no desire to go back. Same with the mission. Leaving my family at the MTC was no big deal.

I'm apparently quite a cold-hearted fellow.

Jimmy said...

I don't think it's so much cold-heartedness as it is difference in personalities and environment. You're from West Jordan, you started college in Provo. I'm from greater Philadelphia and I came to Rexburg. Also, I'm a big wuss.